Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Marine Graduation--Part One



It’s a beautiful sun-filled day at Parris Island Marine Corp Depot in South Carolina. The wind is crisp, but just enough to rid my brain of the fog of sleep and the tiresomeness of the long drive from Bear Grass, North Carolina the day before.


My excitement is rising as I make my way through the crowd to the bleacher in front of which Platoon 1025 will stand at attention for their graduation from boot camp. My sister and her son have no idea my husband and I are here! I can hardly wait to see the look on her face when she gets here. Of course, my nephew won’t know until after the ceremony.

There she is! She’s down at the bottom looking up to find a seat! She sees there are empty seats right behind me but looks right past me! Oh, this is going to be good! She starts up the bleachers! Now I’m beginning to giggle because she’s almost on top of me and STILL doesn’t see me! Now I’m laughing hysterically! (I never could play hide and seek well! My giggles always gave me away.) But believe it or not, I'm having to wave my arms in front of her to get her to see me! Finally! She recognizes me! Oh, the look of total shock and disbelief on her face! Soon, this gives way to tears of appreciation and joy!

Now comes the questioning and telling of how we so thoroughly pulled the wool over her eyes! Especially since we were supposed to be taking care of her dogs while she’s away.

Many giggles, laughs, and tears later it’s finally time for the graduation to begin. The distinguished Marine Corp Band always starts the proceedings, and today is no exception. But the song they are playing not only rivets my attention on them, but also brings tears of gratitude for this valiant Corp that defends our country so unselfishly and honorably! The song the band is playing is: “Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory”! Oh, such wonderful meaning in that song!

Suddenly, I’m thinking of our forefathers who suffered and gave their lives so unselfishly to make sure our country was founded on our Christian faith and to enjoy the freedom of worshiping and serving our magnificent God! I’m thinking of all those who died defending that freedom and to keep our country united. I’m thinking of all our young men in the Marine Corp and other branches of service who died on foreign soil to protect our freedom here at home and to bring freedom to oppressed countries. I’m thinking of my own men who served: my husband in the Navy, son number one in the Army, sons two, three, and four in the Marine Corp. Down deep inside me I begin to weep for how good God has been to me! So many years of military service in my family! So many deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan! So many days, months, and years of prayer and believing God for my men’s safe return to our family! God has been so faithful and merciful to us! There are no words adequate enough to tell how deeply grateful I am to my God and how much I love Him!

Below are the words to this song, which is also known by another title: “The Battle Hymn of the Republic”. If only our nation would sing this hymn united once again!

Mine Eyes Have Seen The Glory Hymn

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored;
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword;
His truth is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! His truth is marching on.

I have seen Him in the watch fires of a hundred circling camps
They have builded Him an altar in the evening dews and damps;
I can read His righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps;
His day is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! His day is marching on.

I have read a fiery Gospel writ in burnished rows of steel;
“As ye deal with My contemners, so with you My grace shall deal”;
Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with His heel,
Since God is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Since God is marching on.

He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat;
He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment seat;
Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! be jubilant, my feet;
Our God is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Our God is marching on.

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:
As He died to make men holy, let us live to make men free;
[originally …let us die to make men free]
While God is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! While God is marching on.

He is coming like the glory of the morning on the wave,
He is wisdom to the mighty, He is honor to the brave;
So the world shall be His footstool, and the soul of wrong His slave,
Our God is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Our God is marching on.


COMING SOON: Marine Corp Graduation—Part Two

No comments:

Post a Comment