Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Grand Canyon is indeed "grand"!--The Sequel






Our night spent at the El Tovar was very restful. It is the oldest lodge on the rim of the canyon. I’m not sure if you can tell from the pictures, but all the old logs are original to the building. The floors creaked as we climbed our way to the third floor. I was so glad we had compacted our luggage for this little mini trip. We slept in just a little because we were very tired from all the walking yesterday. We ate breakfast in the dining room of the El Tovar (very fancy), and we had a great view of the canyon from where we were sitting.

In the pictures you’ll also see a tree in bloom, then a closer shot of the bloom, and then an even closer shot of the bloom. The reason I had Paul take so many of this tree is because this is a Catawba tree. There were two of these trees at Mama and Daddy’s house when I was growing up. We called them cigar trees because long, skinny pods that looked like cigars would grow from those blossoms. I remember them so well because caterpillars LOVED these trees, and it was my job to mow the grass. Patsy always claimed she was allergic to grass cutting. Ummmm? Well, anyway, I refused to mow under those trees! I would cut a wide circle around them. Daddy would have to come out and finish the grass because of the WORMS! If you know me at all you know that I DETEST worms! But the trees are very pretty and these didn’t have worms, just lots of bees.

Some of you have asked about the squirrel in the pictures. This squirrel was so unafraid of people it would come right to you if it thought you had some food. I was sitting on the rock wall eating a bowl of ice cream and that squirrel wanted it! Well, he wasn’t getting any of MY ice cream! Besides, it was actually illegal to feed the “wild” animals. They let Paul and me have ice cream anyway, though! (lol) You also wanted to know what’s up with the “feet”. Paul says to keep you guessing, so I’ll not tell!

Our day today has not been as tiring. We continued our journey through the canyon to the southeast point, stopping at lookouts along the way. One stop we made was the Tusayan Pueblo Ruin. This is the ancient ruins of an Indian village. Every stop we made the view seemed to be more incredible than the one before. The last stop was at Desert View which had the Watchtower. The view from the top (yes, we climbed all the way to the top!) was breath-taking! Again I noticed the silence. Every stop we made was the same. People could not stand at the top of the lookouts and be loud and boisterous, not even the children. There was a sense of almost being in a church. It seemed to take your breath away! I could have stood there a long, long time and just “be”. By that, I mean just be with God. There is such a feeling of total surrender to the One who created this vast expanse of beauty.

We arrived back at Los Abrigados is time to do laundry. Yes, back from such lofty heights to the mundane things that must be done. But I don’t mind the mundane things. I’m thankful for these things because it means we are alive and together. I feel so blessed to be able to be on this trip with Paul. He is the love of my life no matter where we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment