Monday, August 6, 2018

Grand Canyon's North Rim (Post # 46)

August 5
It was very cool when we got up this morning, so I had to pull my jeans and jacket back out. (I thought I was done with them.)  By the time we got to the North Rim, I had shed the jacket.  Such a beautiful day!  













We couldn't see the North Rim on all of the hike, but going through the woods was so lovely.  I forgot my trekking poles, and I could certainly tell a difference in my knees and back.  I bet I won't forget them again. We've met some very interesting people along our journey--some from Australia, London, Holland, and many of the states. The couple that took the above picture of us was from New Mexico.  There were also a LOT of people that we couldn't understand their language at all, but I did recognize the language enough to know where they were from.  The family that went down into Antelope Canyon with us was from China.  They were so nice and so respectful.  Not all nationalities were this way, however.  Some were downright rude!  But we forgave them. (grin)



We left the Visitor Center area and drove down Point Imperial Road.  There was no way to hike to this viewpoint, but we did hike around the rim some there.  The road that went to Cape Royal lookout was closed due to a controlled burn.  That's why a lot of the pictures look so hazy, smoke in the air.
















While driving back down (and I do mean down) from Point Imperial we saw these unusual flowers (the tall ones, or maybe they're weeds) along the roadside.  I've tried to find out what they are on the Internet, but I can't find them.  Any guesses anyone?
This majestic Ponderosa Pine is just left of the driveway into De Motte Park.  Look at its trunk down close to the bottom.  There's a huge knot all the way around the tree.  I'm always curious about things like this. What happened to that tree to create such a distinguishing mark on it?

Tomorrow we head for Camp Verde around the Sedona area.  We couldn't get reservations at an RV park on the South Rim for the dates we wanted, so we're backtracking a little.  But we don't mind because Sedona is such a beautiful place, but we'll just ride through it.  Been there and done that downtown thing a few times.  Too crowded!  It has been such a lovely day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment